January 28, 2009

Preparation: The Elixir of Success


"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."

Abraham Lincoln

What a great quote to summarize the importance of preparedness.

And Senaca tells us that it isn't luck but rather preparation that helps us achieve our goals (
"Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.")

I could occasionally benefit from more preparation both in my business and personal lives.

And it's not a matter of time that I don't better prepare. I obviously have the time to go back and do what I should have done in the first place.

What about you?

7 comments :

  1. Preparation? I barely have time to do all that needs to be done.

    If you are a senior manager and don't already know what to do you shouldn't be in the position you are in.

    I have no time for people that don't come ready to do the job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your point but only if you are saying you want people who are ready to work, which to me is not the same as being prepared to do the best job possible.

    Can you clarify?

    What do the rest of you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no time to train people; they're either prepared to do the job or I get someone who is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting rid of otherwise competent people is an option but hardly seems efficient. And if word gets out that is the way things are, how do you get and retain quality staff?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get and retain quality staff? In this economy? Are you kidding me??

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a big difference between preparedness and readiness.

    Suggesting that you can reach some max level of being prepared doesn't take into account the need to continually update your skills.

    Presuming both candidates told me they understood what needed to be done, I would sooner hirer the one who said "I will be prepared" than I would the one who said "I am."

    No matter how good they are there is more they will need to know to do the specific job I want them to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Preparedness is a constant process. We should always be preparing for the next thing. I suspect we wouldn't be in quite such a mess if a lot more people, including senior management, had been doing real, adequate preparation for real, varied possibilities.

    And I love the quote!

    ReplyDelete