January 14, 2009

Management: My Way or the Highway?

"If you deal with every customer in the same way, you will only close 25 to 30 percent of your contacts, because you will only close one personality type. But if you learn how to effectively work with all four personality types, you can conceivably close 100 percent of your contacts."

Rod Nichols
Author


Mr. Nichols is suggesting there are four personality types; a claim that others who study personalities would dispute (there are many opinions as to how many actually exist.)

But regardless of the number there is another point to be made assuming you believe as I do that there are more than one (I believe there are many.)


Using the same management style with all is not as effective as is tailoring the approach given the differences inherent in each individual. This does not mean you give in to one but not another; only that you recognize the individual needs of each.


For some managers "my way or the highway" is as far as it goes.

What do you think?


3 comments :

  1. Successful managers are those who understand they are as much managing themselves as they are others.

    This means they must often put aside how they would like their subordinates to act accepting the reality of each individual.

    We are not all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We think most managers who take the "my way or the highway approach" do so because of their "my way is the only way I know" fear of failure or showing weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think in some (many?) cases there is fear of inadequacy causing the manager to simply say "do what I say or else." In other cases that is all they know because they themselves were managed that way.

    Early in my career I worked for Rockwell International, a military contractor. Many of the senior managers were ex military and practiced the "do it my way" school of management.

    For many it worked well because they preferred not having to think things through for themselves. But I didn't last three years and knew I wouldn't within my first month.

    ReplyDelete