January 12, 2009

Decision Making: Truth or Consequences


"Fullness of knowledge always and necessarily means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance, and that is always conducive to both humility and reverence."

Robert A. Millikan
1923 Nobel Prize in Physics


To this I want to add my own suggestion; know the difference between what you know and what you think.

Mr. Millikan is telling us to to accept that we do not know everything, which is sage advice.

I suggest we further separate what we know to be true from that we believe to be true, two very different things all too often not considered.

If more managers were to begin their statements with:

"I don't know for sure but . . ."

there would far fewer arguments and much more effective decision making.


2 comments :

  1. Fine, but how do I make sure I "know the difference between what I know and what I think I know"? Wouldn't everyone want to do that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't be sure of things you don't know for sure (yes, a paradox if there ever was one.)

    What I am really suggesting is that you be as sure as possible about what you assume to be true, prior to making decisions. Often this is nothing more than rethinking what you have already decided you will do. In some situations you need to get other opinion which may or may not cost additional time or money.

    ReplyDelete