January 23, 2009

Networking: A Full Time Job


"It's all about using people . . . in a nice way."

Name withheld by request


The above came to me from a CEO during a discussion we had regarding the importance of networking. Because in her opinion it can be construed negatively, she requested I not use her name.


I suppose it can be negative but I don't see it that way. We all "use" each other one way or another so why not through our varying abilities to help each other with our networks?


My bigger concern is that far too few individuals see value in networking . . . until they feel threatened. When they lose their job or fear they will, that's when my phone rings and my email inbox fills up.


You can't turn your network on or off nor can you jump out there and simply say "I'm here!", expecting people to care. If you want to "use" someone you had better have been "used" by them previously, otherwise you'll be staring at a blank screen.


Do you network?

3 comments :

  1. It's funny but true that "networking" is both about helping and being helped and in that sense, being used and using.

    I hadn't thought of it that way before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first career, music, is all about networking. As freelance classical musicians we are all dependent on our connections. We don't have agents, only ourselves and our ability. I am always happy to be able to pass along work or helpful information, and hope that someday someone will return the favor.

    In moving into a second career, I try to use the same principal of networking. Unfortunately, since I'm pretty new in this business, I think I'm taking more than I'm giving right now. But when the time comes, I will pass along whatever help I can, thereby moving from using to being used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, you don't mention what your second career is but I think from previous posts it has to do with physical therapy, correct? If so, very different from music.

    Do you see any differences in the ability/need to network in your music life relative to what you are now doing? Can you imagine any career where networking would either be less or impossible and/or unnecessary?

    ReplyDelete