March 16, 2009

Management: Problem Solvers


"The problem is not that there are problems. The problem is expecting otherwise and thinking that having problems is a problem."

Theodore Issac Rubin
Psychiatrist


This should be the core of every manager's personal manifesto. The essence of management.

That there are barriers to achieving goals is a given. As managers we are responsible for identifying and removing them and if we can't do that, then finding the best way to deal with them.

Problem-identification-solution: the manger's job in a nutshell.


6 comments :

  1. Coming up with solutions to problems is money in the bank and I pay more for employees who do that, regardless of their qualifications or position, than I do for those who don't.

    Yes I want people who identify problems but more than that I want people who also come up with solutions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It amazes me that more, otherwise qualified people don't understand how important it is to both identify the problem AND come up with solutions.

    But I suppose worse than that are those who don't even bother trying to identify the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think somewhat related to this is the notion that the essence of good management is the ability to manage with a finite set of resources.

    a monkey could manage effectively if it was provided with unlimited human and financial resources to solve a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More than "somewhat related" Anonymous.

    As I always tell clients, you give me $100 million a year in marketing money and I'll give you brilliant marketing.

    Doing the same on let's say $1 million? Let me get back to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would rather have a problem identified with a suggestion for a poor solution rather than one with no solution at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. or put another way...an average solution with excellent execution is significantly better than an excellent solution with average execution.

    ReplyDelete