March 19, 2009

Decision Making: The Ultimate Business Calculus

"Business, more than any other occupation, is a continual dealing with the future; it is a continual calculation, an instinctive exercise in foresight."

Henry Luce
American Publisher


The best business decisions are based on many inputs including that we know, that we assume, and as Mr. Luce says, instinctive foresight.

Looking back to what was, at what is today, or what may be.
But not all decision makers spend time thinking about all three.

What about you? How much time do you spend in "continual calculation"?


3 comments :

  1. I agree with this but would not limit it by suggesting that other occupations are not also businesses.

    No matter what you do you are in "business" be you a dentist, teacher, optometrist or scientist. We all have to sell something to others and the ones who don't see this are the ones who fail.

    BTW, I am an educator/scientist and as such must continually sell my ability to those who provide money which allows me to do what I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point Evan, one I often make myself.

    It doesn't matter what you do, you are in business and sell, including police, clergy and retired in addition to your examples.

    We all have someone we are accountable to for something and whatever that is, the Luce quote applies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to admit it but I went into accounting after college because I assumed I wouldn't have to compete as I knew marketing and sales types had to do.

    God was I ever wrong.

    ReplyDelete