December 26, 2008

Negotiation: Can There Be Two "Winners"?


"He who has learned to disagree without being disagreeable has discovered the most valuable secret of a diplomat."

Joseph Joubert
18th Century French Moralist


"In business, you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate."

Chester L. Karrass
Author, Consultant on Negotiation Skills


Everything in business is about negotiation; with your customers, employees, even with yourself.

How much time have you thought about your ability to negotiate? For you is it win/lose, win/win or lose/win when it comes to how you deal with people in your professional life?

4 comments :

  1. Hi Bill,

    I remember you telling me about a great Steve Martin bit years ago that seems to apply here. I can't remember specifically but something about him writing a book with someone else. Do you know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Deirdre,

    I do remember. He was talking about having written a book called "How To Get Along With Anyone" and says, "But I didn't actually write it by myself; I wrote it with this other a__hole jerk off."

    Not sure if Mr. Karrass would condone his negotiation style but I am fairly certain Mr. Martin wouldn't care regardless.

    Good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Negotiation like sales is a "do with" process, not a "do to." It's got to be win/win! Negotiate with integrity. And, yes, the secret to moving things forward is to agree to disagree. There should always be room for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Do with, not do to." I like that a lot. That concept should be at the center of all business and personal matters.

    ReplyDelete