December 23, 2008

Time Management: Use It Or Lose It


"Time stays long enough for anyone who will use it."

Leonardo Da Vinci

I am feeling really rushed this morning. Still much to do to close down my business accounting for this year, regular business to do, a football game to go to 100 miles south in San Diego tonight and Christmas is . . .

Looking back I would like to think this current crunch is not my fault, that others have conspired to put me in this "too much to do" box; however, the reality is, I did it to myself. Time has stayed long enough the last few days but I didn't use what there was of it as wisely as I should have.


On the positive side I typically do. Time management is one of my strong suits and in my opinion, a hallmark of a good manager. My approach is to pretend I have less time than I really do getting things done well ahead of the due date.


What about you? How critical is time management to you and what secrets do you have to make the best use of the time you have?

2 comments :

  1. Time measures what we do, what we would like to do, what we don't want to do and most of all what we didn't do, with each unrelenting passing second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Katherine. The more I think about it, at the top of the list of things that managers need to be good at should be time management. It is the only resource that is not only known but finite as well.

    Too little of it and the value of other resources is greatly diminished. And there really isn't any such thing as too much of it. When you have more time to get something done than is needed, simply apply the excess time to some other area.

    I've seen a lot of discussion about "due dates" in my career but not nearly as much about the time required to meet them and when we miss dates, problems follow.

    ReplyDelete