December 01, 2008

Confidence: How Sure Do We Need To Be?


"Doubt whom you will, but never yourself."

Christian N. Bovee
19th Century Author


This is one of those quotes that initially strikes me as good but after further reflection I begin to have doubts. The positive part is trust in yourself, set your path then walk it, etc., but what if you're wrong? (Bovee probably wouldn't even tolerate the doubt associated with asking that question.)

Maybe the quote overly simplifies what he really had in mind. Maybe he would tell us to do as Davy Crockett allegedly suggested ("Be sure you're right, then go ahead"), but even that seems difficult to do. There have been many instances in my career where there was no way to "be sure" regarding what I planned to do.


What role does certainty and/or self-confidence play in decision making?

2 comments :

  1. Without confidence in ourselves we would never do anything. It's the basis of moving forward with any idea. Of course, we also need to do our homework so we have the information to back up our ideas. And maybe the real trick is to remain open to new information that might show that a new direction is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Julie, self confidence is the foundation on which decisions should be made but only when we reach those decisions using good information?

    I agree and do so as well with your suggestion to "remain open to new information." In fact looking back, my occasional problem wasn't a lack of self confidence. Any serial entrepreneur such as myself is rarely accused of that.

    Exactly the opposite; we are often so certain we are right we fail to see alternatives (and I am so sure of that I don't want to hear any nonsense to the contrary.)

    Thanks for the reply.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete