December 31, 2008

Ethics: How Do You Know?


"If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again; it was probably worth it."

Unknown

Ethics or lack thereof.

One's success will, to a large degree, depend upon how quickly they can determine who to trust and who to stay away from and as anyone over the age of 15 can attest, that's not always easy to do.


Employees, supervisors, investors, investment options; how do you sort it all out? What do you look for when deciding who you will and will not trust?

3 comments :

  1. I wish I knew how to tell who was ethical and who was not, at the beginning. Part of the problem is what is ethical to one may not be to another.

    That's my current problem. My business partner and I disagree on a couple of critical issues. I think he's not ethical, he disagrees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paying $20 to find out someone is or is not ethical would be a bargain however as we all know the cost is usually much greater.

    Anonymous, you say your partner disagrees. About what? His ethics or yours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill –
    In a corporate environment, I know of no set of traits of characteristics (i.e., firm handshake, eye contact) that I can use to “size someone up” for trustworthiness or ethics. I also try to discount “reputation” or gossip. So my general rule of thumb is to assume the best – then learn and adapt based on my own personal experience with that person. This is kind of the opposite of a “trust has to be earned” philosophy.

    ReplyDelete