November 03, 2009

Tell Me What You Think


"If I had to reduce the responsibilities of a good follower to just one rule, it would be to speak the truth to power."

Warren Bennis
Organizational Consultant


I'll bet many of you never even thought about followers having responsibilities, nonetheless they do. Every relationship imposes them on both parties regardless of rank.

Of course, along with the requirement that the follower be ready to speak the truth to those in power is the responsibility of those in power being ready to listen, and of greater importance, not penalizing the follower for having done so.


Does it work that way in your organization?


2 comments :

  1. It does not work that way in our our company. A bunch of good old boys with no respect for anyone not part of their inner circle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what Anonymous means. I also worked in a click management run company and if you weren't part of the click, you wouldn't last, which was true of me.

    I left on my own accord and the company was essentially done less than 2 years later.

    ReplyDelete