July 20, 2009

Open or Closed to New Ideas? How Do You Know?


"Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows."

David T. Wolf
Author

This suggests what; that naivete could be substituted for not being experienced and one must always be cynical once experienced?

God I hope not but I do get the generalization.

The older I get the harder I am to convince that something new will be good. I think that is so for good reason; because I have learned to more carefully consider new ideas rather than just blindly accepting them.

But is that always the case?

How (do) you balance the need to be open to new things while at the same time critically analyzing your options?

4 comments :

  1. Whenever i quickly (1 minute or less) decide something is or is not a good ideas, I ask myself why? If the answer I come up with is not good, such as "I just know", I force myself to look for reasonable substantiation.

    Not surprising, my first impression is often wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One minute or less huh? What would the One Minute Manager say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the amount of time matters as much as the fact that a minimum time of consideration is set.

    And I like the idea of employing the review rule in those cases where you are more sure than not that you are right.

    Doing so forces you to examine your beliefs, which is another way of making sure your mind is open to new ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think it's important to constantly be on the look out for parochialism.

    it's natural to get set in your ways when you've done something for a long time but that's probably the best time to make sure that you're not falling behind and disregarding new (and potentially better) ways of doing things.

    ReplyDelete