October 29, 2009

Risk Analysis: Looking to the Future


"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward."

Vernon Sanders Law
Retired Professional Baseball Pitcher


It is true that we often do not see the potential consequences of our actions until they occur, but why should it be that way?

I think it's because we too often do not attempt to understand what may happen, choosing instead to simply act.


What do you think?


BTW, if you don't know (I didn't), Vern Law is also credited with having said, "A winner never quits and a quitter never wins."


2 comments :

  1. The first two questions that should be asked when considering something major are, what do we stand to gain, and what do we stand to lose?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd not thought of it this way before but it is strange that many business decisions are taken without first quantifying what might happen. I'm guessing this happens because it can be difficult to foresee likely outcomes but an attempt still must be made.

    I know because I am the head of my company's marketing and am embarrassed to say, I haven't done enough in this regard. But I will from now on.

    ReplyDelete