April 20, 2009

Management Style: Avoiding the Trap

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I don't think reducing everything to big wins or loses is a good idea; sometimes you do need to proceed cautiously just to later have a chance of winning big.

So how do we know when the potential reward justifies the risk?


3 comments :

  1. It's called ROI although most decisions are made without one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give me any financial decision with three or more critical unknowns requiring assumptions be made, and I can give you an ROI supporting or rejecting whatever you wish.

    You choose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both comments are true to a point but there are management teams that make a concerted effort to reach thoughtful decisions based on thorough analysis.

    I don't now where the two of you work but from the sound of it I'm glad I don't.

    ReplyDelete