April 23, 2009

Attitude: What Do You Worry About?


"If you can solve a problem then what is the need of worrying? If you cannot solve it, what is the use of worrying?"

Shantideva
8th Century Indian Buddhist Scholar


Notice the subtle difference between "needing" to worry and the "use" or result of having done so.

Maybe it's the word itself that carries negative baggage. To me "worrying" suggests wasted energy, probably a lack of action, possibly weakness, none of which I associate with good management.


But if I substitute something like "thoughtful contemplation", the picture changes dramatically.


Do you "worry", "thoughtfully contemplate" or something similar and how does that affect your business judgment?


3 comments :

  1. I don't feel that worrying always hurts and it sometimes helps by leading to a solution that would not have been considered. On the other hand if worry becomes so bad that it paralyzes management, it is counter productive.

    I have worried and ended up with good solutions and in one or two cases, worried to the point of shutting down. Now when I see the possibility of that happening, I do all I can to break the worry cycle and the best way to do that is to bring others into my deliberations concerning what we will do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thoughts Robert and the additional advantage of bringing in others (besides misery loving company) is that you get new perspectives.

    I never ceased to be amazed how different things looks when I listen to others (except of course two of you and you know who you are.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get the feeling I may be one of them.

    ReplyDelete