October 21, 2008

Management: Office Politics, the 5th Column


"A politician is a statesman who approaches every question with an open mouth."

Adlai Stevenson

We all know the double meaning of "politician". One who holds public office or attempts to as well as someone who will say and do what they need to to get elected no matter what is best for the electorate. And when we use this term in business ("office politics") we are talking about much the same; a person who will do and say what is necessary to advance their agenda no matter what is best for the company.

I work with dozens of companies each year and based on that I have to say that office politics is the single most debilitating issue affecting corporate performance bar none. However, while extremely bad for the company, it is relative easy to spot and address presuming senior management is willing to do so.

How is it in your company and what (if anything) is done to keep it to a minimum?

2 comments :

  1. How is it in my company? Bad enough that I plan to leave. I don't know if management sees what's going on and just doesn't do anything or doesn't see how bad things are. But they will when I do my exit interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Death, taxes, broken promises from politicians and office politics; all inevitable. Still management must do all they can to minimize that which does occur.

    I've had luck immediately bringing the warring parties together forcing them to say to each other whatever they were prepared to say to me or others in private. It doesn't stop it but most will think twice if they know there will be public confrontation.

    ReplyDelete