November 06, 2008

Risk Management: How Much is Too Much?


"Make the choice adventurous stranger, strike the bell and bide the danger or wonder 'till it drives you mad what would have happened if you had."

C.S. Lewis
Author


My personal philosophy regarding risk results in me doing some things I later regret. But as Lewis said I don't want to one day sit, shawl over shoulders, wondering what would have happened if I only had . . . So far so good; I have regrets for some of it but many more great memories that never would have happened had I not acted.

Fine for a personal philosophy but what about taking risk in business particularly in a public company? How does management decide what is too risky? Is it ever appropriate to "bet the farm"?

2 comments :

  1. I accept the consequences as long as I can honestly say I did all I could to to make things turn out right. Or as mom and dad used to say at the Saturday soccer games, it's ok as long as I know I did my best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how much is too much but do know management will be much more cautious in the months (years?) ahead as their consumers back off from buying.

    Maybe they don't make conscious decisions regarding risk and instead just go with what they have.

    Kind of like going to Vegas and finding you only have $100. That's what you bet even though you would have bet the $200 you thought you had.

    ReplyDelete