November 18, 2008

Management: Influence IS Authority!


"The key to successful leadership is influence, not authority."

Kenneth Blanchard
Co-Author
"One Minute Manager"




In many respects a bad analogy but I'll go with it anyway.


Long ago I learned that the best approach to parenting my now two young adult sons was to try to influence them to reach the conclusion I thought was best as opposed to just telling them what I wanted done.

It doesn't always work, they don't always listen but they do more than not, particularly the older they get. And they certainly do more than when I just told them "Do what I say!"


In my experience the boss/employee relationship is similar. You can order an employee to do whatever you want and most will . . . at least until they find a new job.

But your way isn't necessarily the best way all the time. Better to make clear the goal, step back and let the employee achieve the desired result.

How do I know? I've learned a lot from my boys.

What do you think?

3 comments :

  1. I often find myself flumoxxed by this idea at work. My boss makes guiding suggestions and tosses out ideas in passing conversations. The ones I choose to take and run with, often are not the ideas he wanted me to act on in the end. Conversely, the passing hints of "It would be interesting if you..." turn out to have been objectives in his head.

    So while I grasp the idea of management by suggestion, I would temper the idea with the notion that there must be clear-cut objective communication lines as well. If you want someone to do A, B, then C - tell them that explicitly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The suggestion that all the boss need do is set goals and then get out of the way does not mean there is no need to be specific. To the contrary there is and not just about the ultimate goals. He or she must also specifically let the employee know what is expected in terms of progress communications as well.

    Even worse than a boss telling an employee how s(he) wants things done is not doing so but expecting they will somehow read their mind. And/or changing requirements without letting them know, which sounds like what happens to you ("It would be interesting if you..." turn out to have been objectives in his head..)

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the need to be specific .... the old Zig Ziglar line comes to mind ....

    One must be a meaningful specific as opposed to a wandering generality.

    ReplyDelete