January 14, 2011

More Than One Word


"Just think of the tragedy of not teaching children to doubt."

Clarence S. Darrow
Late 19th century, early 20th century American lawyer

The concept of "doubt" seems to me a "gate" that swings both ways.

Mr. Darrow uses it to suggest the role doubt plays in learning, whereas doubt leading to inaction is often counter-productive.

Along with ambition, caution, aggressiveness, indifference, and many more terms used to describe human behaviors, how do we sort out the good from the bad?

Or is it only possible to do so when we use these terms in context with something else, as Mr. Darrow has done?

Think about that the next time you find yourself describing a business peer or customer with just one word.

1 comment :

  1. I have lived a life of doubting and trusting when I shouldn't have (I'm on my third marriage.)

    ReplyDelete