January 07, 2011

Fear





"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear -- not the absence of fear."

Mark Twain


I offer this to all of you currently facing a situation, both business and personal, which causes you to be afraid.

Do not be ashamed that you are, but at the same time, do not let fear dictate what you do.

And understand, you are not alone.

I am reading a very good book talking about the role one's attitude plays in achieving success.  It includes discussion on how to deal with fear and I recommend it to anyone struggling to control their mind's reaction to current problems.

"The Difference Maker:  Making Your Attitude Your Greatest Asset" by John C. Maxwell

5 comments :

  1. a very philosophical quote coming from mr twain, but not unique to him. we'd all be better off confronting our fears rather than succumbing to them

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the eve of my first marathon attempt - a January trail marathon in NJ with 5 inches of fresh snow - your post is strangely timely. I've spent the day feeling fear, thinking about fear, writing about fear, living with fear. Nothing to do but face it & go run a lot of miles in the snow tomorrow. Succumbing would be refusing to go, using the snow as an excuse, or admitting it's too crazy even for me.
    And as always, what I face in my fitness life applies to business & all other aspects as well. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome Julie and I as I write this I assume you are somewhere out there on that trail. I wish you the best but remember, finish or not, your honest attempt is also victory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Julie, the world waits to hear. How'd you do?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished, & then kept going. There was a marathon & 50K going at the same time. 2 loops together, then we split for the final loop. And yes, I (along with a few others) ended up on the wrong final loop. No choice but to keep going, so I completed my first 50! (very slowly, but finished)

    ReplyDelete