May 18, 2010

Management: Heading in the Right Direction?


"Nothing is soft as water and yet who can resist the raging flood?"

Lao Ma

Fictional character in TV show "Xena: Warrior Princess"

While I don't know the context of this quote, it sounds like classic Asian philosophy having to do with the unyielding power of truth to overcome all obstacles. If so, ultimately I agree, however not necessarily in the short term.

Great damage can be done to a business when wrong thinking is in control. The trick is to know that is the case and make changes as quickly as possible.


How can you ever know for certain whether or not your company's fate is in the right hands?


2 comments :

  1. You don't know for certain, not at least until the damage is done. And I certainly don't know how to do a better job of hiring the right people. Looking back at my career I think I was no better than about 70% in terms of good hires and never mind great.

    While that's an outstanding batting average and while true that baseball is a business, it's not good in real business. The 30% who were bad did some serious damage while in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me think of my good/bad hire ratio, which I believe was close to your 70/30 experience. I recall in particular a couple that absolutely seemed a good fit, not only from my perspective but from the views of others as well. But they didn't work.

    Like so much else, more time really thinking about what was needed, both in terms of the job and the person to fill it, would likely have helped.

    ReplyDelete