May 19, 2010

The Cost of Thrift


"Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing."

Albert Einstein


I bought an office chair this weekend, which, as with so much today, was made in China at close to or at the lowest cost possible.


The price was definitely right but unfortunately the chair wasn't. I had to return the original due to defects, and then opened two replacements at the store before finding one that was right.


My version of Einstein's thought is you get what you don't pay for.


What cost is that to business?

3 comments :

  1. It's not just products that don't work. while everyone wants the lowest possible price, they also want the best possible product AND jobs.

    Folks, you can't have it all.

    If you want low prices you have to buy products made in some other country by people making a small fraction what you would work for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen

    Having lost my job last summer, I now think about that every time I shop at Walmart. I hate doing it but what choice do I have?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the cost to business is what you might be suggesting. If the quality of all product is lower, whatever the reason, so too are the expectations of consumers who buy them. Maybe not for the older ones who recall when you actually had things fixed rather than just getting a new one, but younger consumers for sure.

    ReplyDelete