February 12, 2009

Management: Put It In Writing?



"A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on."


Samuel Goldwyn


What else do we need in writing besides critical elements of a contract?


Arguably a manager's instructions to a subordinate could (or should) easily include as much detail as would be found in any buy/sell agreement, but no one I know puts as much detail into their management directives as they would in a contract.

Is the fact that they don't the reason things often don't get done as the manager expects?

At what point should a manager's instructions be documented in writing? How much detail is needed?

Or is verbal direction between a manager and their subordinates always enough?


3 comments :

  1. It is strange that common wisdom says "get it in writing" when it comes to contracts but not when we give direction to subordinates, even when what they are doing involves millions of dollars.

    Looking at my own career I see many circumstances where the outcome of an action was confusion between the manager and subordinate, because there was miscommunication up front.

    A lot of that never would have happened had they taken the time to record exactly what was to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a vendor and have learned that you need to make the client be detailed in what they ask you to do. If you don't you run the risk of them saying "That's not what I asked for." when you send them the deliverables.

    Unfortunately clients not inclined to be specific are also the ones who don't want to provide specific, detailed project specs. In those cases I get as much verbal detail as I can from them and then send it back to them in writing requesting that they change or approve what I am about to do. Some will ignore this and then I must decide, do I go ahead based on what they said they wanted or wait until they do respond? Either way is problamatic.

    If I can limit the "That's not what I asked for" comments to 10% or less, I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The important things in a contract are those which are not spelt out. Simply make sure you have a good Statement of Requirements.

    But it is the same with wishful dreaming. People will all sorts of things into reality without thinking out the details. It's not enough to say I want a Rolls Royce without the details - otherwise you may find one day that one crashed through your front room. There you have it.

    ReplyDelete