February 18, 2009

Honesty: Walking the Line


"So near is falsehood to truth that a wise man would do well not to trust himself on the narrow edge."

Cicero
1st Century BC Roman Philosopher


Half truths; something so on the edge it could just as easily have been a lie as a truth.

It strikes me that so much in business is unknown and until events unfold we often have no way of knowing what is true and what is not.

I'll be honest, I've put forth things I hoped would turn out to be true but didn't know for certain at the time what was and wasn't real.


Dishonest?

3 comments :

  1. Whether or not you were dishonest would depend on how much you knew you didn't know when you said whatever it was you said. Also, whether you told the other person what you knew versus what you thought/assumed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking back I sometimes knew the degree to which I was at, near or on the line, other times not. But in the majority of cases I cannot imagine a conversation where I could have told the other person, "Now I need to disclose to you what I believe I know versus what I think I know."

    There were times where it was appropriate to discuss assumptions versus believed truths and I did that; however in most cases the client was buying confident execution and I did my best to provide that every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think as important as being truthful is the need to accept responsibility when things don't work out as planned.

    I can accept someone who says, "I was wrong" but cannot accept one who immediately defaults to excuses when things do not turn out as expected.

    ReplyDelete