February 20, 2009

Management: Left Brain, Right Brain or Both?



"To open a shop is easy, to keep it open is an art."


Chinese Proverb


When you start a business you must first do all the things government demands so you will have infrastructure.

Things like registering your DBA so you can open a bank account, deciding on a business structure, getting required business licenses, etc.




(Click drawing to enlarge.)

When that's all done, the art part happens with emphasis on knowing when to make course corrections both subtle and extreme and doing this well demands as much creativity as it does managerial execution.

Left brain/right brain.


Are you enough of both?


3 comments :

  1. I found that business school placed too much emphasis on left brain business management. I graduated believing I could logic my way through management but I see now that is not the case.

    The trick is to find balance between art and science.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we're too right brain now and have been ever since we ditched the suits and ties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of ditching the suits and ties, I remember when I worked at Pioneer and we went to "casual Friday." I always thought it an oxymoron to formally establish a day to be casual.

    ReplyDelete