April 08, 2011

Who's (Is Anyone) In Charge Here?


"Life can only be understood backwards but it must be lived forwards."

Soren Kierkegaard
19th century Danish philosopher/writer


I am a planning consultant, writing a book on how to better manage change in our personal and professional lives.

Planning and managing, two words that to me suggest attempts to control.

Kierkegaard's quote seems to imply we can only experience life, not control it.

True?  If so in business too?

What do you think?

2 comments :

  1. If we equate "understand" with "control", you're right but I'm not sure that is what he had in mind. I don't think they are they same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right Jonathan and at the very least I amend my suggestion as follows. Planning and managing may be attempts to direct rather than control.

    ReplyDelete