December 30, 2010

Think Small To Get Big



"Big jobs usually go to men who prove their ability to outgrow small ones."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
19th century American poet

Advice to those just beginning your careers.

Don't shy away from the jobs you think are beneath you're ability.

Quickly get on with them, do them faster and better than most would expect, and if there is an advancement path for you to be on, you will be moved up.

And if there isn't, you will soon see that is the case and can go elsewhere.

2 comments :

  1. Frustrated and UnerpaidDecember 30, 2010 at 2:31 PM

    Fine but how long do I need to be patient? I've been doing the same stuff since I graduated college 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perception of time, how much is too much or too little, is difficult.

    I've had jobs where I knew the first week the fit was not right, and others where I waited much too long before seeing I needed to move on.

    I suggest you talk with those you trust, doing your best to present as unbiased a view of your situation as possible. Listen to what they say, think about it, and after considerable thought, make your decision. And if you have good relationship with your employer, talk to him or her about your chances for advancement.

    And feel free to contact me if you think my opinion might help (wmatthies@coyoteinsight.com).

    ReplyDelete