December 03, 2010

The Power of Changing Your Mind

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything."

George Bernard Shaw
Late 19th, early 20th century Irish writer

As many of you know, I am working on a book regarding "change", and felt this quote well represented me a few months back.

Until that point, I had been working one way, making what was to me, acceptable but very little progress.  The sum of my excuses for lack of output was greater than my output.

Then I re-thought things resulting in a different approach.  

Today, the book is essentially written, I am in the editing stage with considerably more to do, but much more done than would be true had I not "changed my mind."

Changing your mind.  It works.

2 comments :

  1. I really like this quote. Change is about new thinking and that is so hard to do for so many people

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Franklin.

    Look at anything including politics, religion, the way people raise their kids, education, and certainly business, and you will find opinions based on too little fact, held in minds closed to additional input.

    In my "change" book research, I discovered three studies done between 2002 and now, each showing that around 60% of all business change initiatives, fail to achieve their objectives. To this we can add personal change initiative failures such as a 50% divorce rate (as high as 75% for those married more than once), substance abuse, weight problems, etc.

    Why does so little of our efforts result in success?

    I'd say it's time to rethink a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete