December 21, 2010

People Not Things!


"The history of the world is but the biography of great men."

Thomas Carlyle
19th century British historian

And women.

This is also the key finding of my research into the process of change.

Everything centers on people.

Every change, both good and bad, has at it's core, individuals.

If you want to change something, start by focusing on the people who will be necessary to do whatever it is you want to do.

Without them, nothing will happen.  Nothing!

2 comments :

  1. don't you think a manager's sheer will could force things to happen that otherwise won't? I do. I believe I can make people step up and do what needs to be done no matter what they might think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically and literally, we agree.

    I said everything centers on people and you talk of making them do what you think is best. A form of "centering on people" although not exactly what I have in mind.

    But let me ask you this. If you regularly have to make people do things, will you get as much done as you would if they were more able to do things without your oversight?

    I wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete