November 12, 2010

Going Alone



"True individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence."

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Let's say you're considering quitting your job, going on your own.  Does this seem to support that decision or serve as a warning that you may want to rethink things?

The oxymoron is in the last four words "economic security and independence."  

You'll have a degree of independence although less than you think.

Economic security?  Not as much, taking longer to achieve than your plan predicts (you do have a plan don't you??)

How do I know?  Been there done that.

4 comments :

  1. I once thought the grass was greener for those running their own business, but quickly found otherwise. The business, such as it was, ran me, almost into the ground.

    Never again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Owning your own business is not easy nor certainly a guarantee of independence and financial success.

    My comment might have made it sound as though I discourage people from starting their own business, which I don't. But I do tell them to think about it very carefully. It is a lot of hard work and risk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So would you do it again?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go on my own, starting my own company? Absolutely.

    Something being difficult is not in itself a reason not to try. However even were that not true, which it is, I still much prefer knowing how good and bad things really are than assuming I know when working for someone else.

    ReplyDelete