March 14, 2012

I Wonder



"All wonder is the effect of novelty on ignorance."




Samuel Johnson
18th century British author
photo by Will Koffel
http://will.koffel.org/

A "wonderful" thing already seems identified as good whereas something I wonder about does not necessarily.

It might one day be but until I declare it wonderful . . .

Given all the uncertainty (ignorance) in our business lives, do you employ process to categorize things as wonderful versus those you should wonder about?

Identifying the presence or absence of novelty relative to what you don't understand may be where you start.

That's pretty wonderful.

2 comments :

  1. so, this is saying that if something you don't understand seems novel, it is a wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is and while I don't it literally, I understand and agree with the underlying concept.

    ReplyDelete