January 07, 2010

Done! What's Next?


"As peace is the end of war, so to be idle is the ultimate purpose of the busy."

Samuel Johnson
18th century Englishman of letters


I don't think so. I get things done so I can do other things.

Taken literally, this sounds too close to the quote attributed to then (1899) head of the US Patent Office, Charles Duell, who supposedly said the patent office could be closed because "Everything that can be invented has been invented."


What do you think about the concept of working to be "finished" as opposed to working to be able to move on to other things?

2 comments :

  1. Can't we work to be finished AND work to move on to other things? Does it have to be one or the other?

    And how I feel about this has everything to do with what I'm working on. Some things I just want to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't want to finish, just appear as though I can't do more while doing as little as possible.

    ReplyDelete