February 10, 2009

Rumors: "Did you hear . . ."


"In the business world an executive knows something about everything, a technician knows everything about something and the switchboard operator knows it all."

Harold Coffin
Former Associate Press Columnist


Working virtually I am no longer plugged into any office grapevine other than my own (and I've not said anything recently I was at all interested in hearing.)

When I did work with others in a large office, I didn't appreciate the value of the informal communication network that flowed in all directions from all levels. But I do now.


Employees may not know what's really going on but they know what they think they know and that is often more important than reality.


Are you listening?


3 comments :

  1. I don't know how useful office gossip is but it certainly makes the day go quicker, that is unless it's about me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Office gossip and office politics go hand in hand.

    Someone once told me, with one person there is no politics, with two there could be but maybe not. With three there absolutely is and with more than three, forget about it.

    Remember Bill?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I do remember. Too bad I wasn't more able to control our office politics don't you think?

    ReplyDelete